Merbau Timber Suppliers
Merbau timber also known ‘Kwila’ is a hardwood, native to the Indo-Pacific region. It offers superior durability and is termite and rot-resistant. It is highly versatile due to its stability when sufficiently dried and is commonly used in cabinetry, joinery, construction, marine, and outdoor applications. Orange to reddish-brown in colour, Kwila has become a popular hardwood utilised by builders and homeowners Australia wide for use in outdoor deck construction. When you need a hardwood for your project that is dependable, durable and versatile, it’s hard to go wrong with Kwila.
At Versace Timbers, we have been Brisbane timber suppliers since 1956. Our experienced and qualified team share a passion for timber and are happy to help with any questions you might have regarding Merbau decking timber for your next project. Get in touch with the friendly team today and place an order today for the best pricing on Merbau timber Brisbane wide.
Wood Characteristics at a Glance
- Common Name/s: Merbau Timber / Kwila Timber
- Scientific Name: Intsia. I. bijuga
- Species Type: Hardwood
- Origin: Merbau timber is native to the Indo-Pacific region.
- Colour: Orangish-brown when freshly cut, which will age to a darker reddish-brown. There are also small yellow mineral deposits that are water soluble and prone to bleeding.
- Grain/Texture: Kwila timber has a straight grain that is interlocked with a coarse texture.
- Rot Resistance: Rot and termite resistant.
- Density: 670-800 kg/m3 @ 12 percent moisture content.
- Workability: Good workability and finishing properties. Will produce a high finish, however, blades may gum up after prolonged sawing.
Typical Applications of Merbau and Kwila Timber
Known for its versatility, durability, and stability; Kwila timber is rot and mould resistant and can be used in a variety of applications from construction, engineering, and marine applications. It is also commonly used in the manufacture of outdoor furniture and decking. Sufficiently dried to under 12% moisture content, indoor applications include flooring, and laminated beams, and furniture.
- Kwila Decking / Merbau Decking Boards
- Merbau screening
- Outdoor Furniture
- Piles, sleepers, and posts
- Framing and General Construction
- Bridge building and wharves
- Floorboards and Panelling
- Turning and Parquetry
- Laminated Furniture
- Stair treads, rails, and balusters
- Shopfitting and cabinetry
- Carving, Veneer
Building an Outdoor Deck and Need Merbau Decking Boards?
Don’t compromise on the quality of your deck. Merbau decking timber is a favourite among both homeowners and builders alike. Offering superior stability due to its low expansion and shrinkage rate it is well suited to the Australian climate and is commonly used in decks Australia wide. By using quality Merbau decking boards for your next decking project, you know the deck you build, will be built to last. As your Merbau timber suppliers, we stock ready to install 90×19 Kwila decking that is available both smooth and reeded.
Not sure how much Kwila decking you’ll need? Use our handy merbau decking timber calculator to estimate your requirements or get in touch with our friendly team of decking experts for help with your all decking needs.
Our Merbau Timber Brisbane Range
Beams & Posts
We carry Kwila timber beams and posts that come in a variety of widths and sizes perfect for every job. Need a special size, contact our helpful sales team and we will see what we can do.
- Merbau GL17 Beams
- Merbau Laminated Posts 90×90, 100×100, 140x140x 190×190
Indoor and Outdoor Railing
As your Merbau timber suppliers, we stock a range of indoor and outdoor railing in a variety of widths and lengths. Whether you’re upgrading an internal staircase or are just starting a housing project. Speak to the team at Versace Timbers for quality Merbau timber Brisbane wide.
- Laminated DAR Handrail 70×42, 90×42 & 140×42
- Ladies Waist – Rebated & Non-Rebated
- Bread Loaf – Rebated & Non-Rebated
- Mid Rail 68×42
- Weather Rail 68×42
Merbau Screening & Balusters
For both indoor and outdoor applications we carry merbau screening & balusters in 42×19 and 70×19 for projects of all sizes.
For all your finishing needs we carry a wide range of Kwila timber accessories including;
- Merbau Dowels
- Merbau Dowel Fixing
- Merbau Stained Putty